Our friend Ben Callahan, a stand out three-sport athlete, musician, scholar, and humanitarian passed away in a drowning accident and finished the project Jesus gave him to do here on this earth. His reach amongst the local community was immense and his legacy has spread internationally. Ben’s infectious smile, boldness, compassion, and character brought together thousands of people in the wake of his death including family, friends, teammates, coaches, bandmates, opponents on the field, and countless lives who have had been impacted by the way he lived.
As we mourn, our family and community have grown closer. We remember Ben’s crazy spirit that reached for the extravagant but always looked to help others in need. In his honor, we are setting up the Ben Callahan Memorial Foundation with the purpose of serving children in and around the community and spreading the same hope of eternity that Ben carried in his heart. We hope to enhance educational needs, sports teams, fitness and enrichment and gifted programs
In order to serve the shoreline community in these five important need areas – youth, teen, adult and family sport and fitness programs, we have designed a 125,000 square foot facility which includes:
- 4 indoor basketball courts
- 1 Indoor multi-purpose full turf field
- 4 smaller indoor multi-purpose turf fields
- 3 outdoor multi-purpose full turf fields
- A full service teen center with meeting rooms, vending area, and video/television lounge
- A fitness center
- A group ex room
- A spirit, mind and body room
- A state of the art spinning room
- An impact performance training area
- Personal training and small group training area
- Kids Care Babysitting rooms
- Sports not limited to basketball, soccer, football, wrestling, lacrosse, field hockey, volleyball, dance, cheerleading, multi-sport, karate/judo, pickle ball……….
- Birthday party rooms
- Banquet facilities
- Hiking and nature trails. Trails will be designed in conjunction with the Branford Land Trust and the Inland Wetlands Commission and will frame, protect, and preserve the wetlands.
- Family, youth, team and adult locker rooms
- Restaurant and lounge